Kaliningrad is a seaport on the Baltic Sea. Originally named Königsberg, the Prussian and German town had been founded in 1255, and was then largely destroyed during World War II. Its ruins were occupied by the Soviet Army in 1945 and it was renamed Kaliningrad in 1946. The German population was expelled and the city was repopulated with Russian citizens.Today, there is some debate about changing the name of the city back to “Königsberg” in the same way that several other Russian cities have reverted to their pre-Soviet names. Khrabrovo Airport is located 24 kilometers (15 mi) north of Kaliningrad.